Wednesday 3 April 2013

You have what for breakfast?

Carrot and Blueberry Porridge
I promise this is not as weird as it sounds! I tell people I have carrot in my porridge and they freak out! I do not get it. Just because its a vegetable doesn't mean its not good in sweet stuff...Hello, carrot cake?! I could understand if I said 'oh yeah I put cabbage in my porridge' but not carrot! I thought combining it with blueberries would be a nice gentle introduction of carrot in porridge.  I topped it off with some ground cashew nuts I had left over. Once stirred in they make the porridge lovely and creamy, for some reason I'm not quite sure of!


 I actually made this a few weeks ago and I also added a few cranberries, because they'd been sitting there for a while and needed using up... OK I lie-I just wanted them. this bowl is about 1/3 of what I started off with. And  I didn't even feel guilty!! :D Trying to remember that now!

As It would feel dishonest of me to blog about something I didn't actually have today, I recreated it this morning. According to my grandmother it looked 'interesting' . I just smiled brightly and offered her some grated carrot...wrinkled nose and a "I'll pass". Hopefully you'll be more adventurous!?



Ingredients:

  • 20g ground cashews/almonds or small handful (20g) cashew nuts
  • 1/2 carrot
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 cup milk

Method

  1. If you want ground cashews, blitz them in a food processor, or with a hand blender (it works if you cover the bowl with a tea towel, else they go everywhere!!) or bash them with a pestle and mortar if you don't have a processor or blender. If you want normal cashews, feel free to chop them up or just chuck 'em in whole! (why not after all?).
  2. Wash/peel the carrot, Then Grate.
  3. Mix the oats, carrot, milk, blueberries and half of the nuts in a bowl.
  4. Sprinkle with the rest of the nut mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment