Sunday 10 March 2013

Butter Bean and Swede salad

Bean and Swede salad
Happy Mothers day to all mothers in the UK!! and A lovely day to everyone else elsewhere too.
This is my Friday lunch. Fridays tend to be one of two things; a bit of a left overs mix, or Dahl day!  Only I couldn't be bothered to boil up any lentils and had no left over beans. I’d left it too late to do more beans (they have to soak for 8 hours and that takes forward planning).  So I splashed out and used canned. And not just any canned beans-butter beans! They were so lovely I ate the other half of the can that night… good job they are healthy! (I make my lunch the night before-mornings never have enough time in them). Not many people like swede but its so sweet and cheap! Mine had been in the fridge too long and was looking a little sad. But dicing and frying the swede but frying brought it back to an edible state. I think that when fried it tastes rather like pumpkin! (and unlike pumpkin, cheap and in season here).
I paired with some chopped pepper and mixed nuts as a snack.

Recipe:
·         100g swede
·         ½ tsp chilli powder
·         ½ tbsp olive oil
·         ½ can butter beans (or boil up 1/3 cup dried)
·         Couple of handful salad leaves

Method
  1. Dice the swede into small pieces so it will cook nicely, heat up the oil in a frying pan.
  2. Add the swede and chili powder and fry the swede until golden brown and smelling lovely. Then remove from heat.
  3. Drain the butter beans and add to the cooling swede (the heat will remove the excess water which can make your salad limp).
  4. Wash the salad and put in to bowl/container then top with the bean/swede mix once it has cooled.




No comments:

Post a Comment